Friday, January 13, 2012

A Very Karaoke New Year

Today is New Year eve. My day started out with a trip down memory lane. I grew up in the neighbourhood called Jiangxi North Road where my grandparents had a tiny corner unit of maybe 250 square feet. Down the street was an intersection road nicknamed “little triangle” where grandpa taught me how to ride a bike. In the southern corner of the “little triangle” was a very popular restaurant where grandma use to buy me treats and wonton soup.





Little triangle is still there today. The restaurant had disappeared and replaced with little shops of street food. The tiny corner unit was torn down years ago and converted into a mall. One thing that hasn’t changed is that it is still hassling, bustling and full of life.












I didn’t want to brave the crazy crowd down on the Bund where all the big New Year light shows and fireworks were held. A few years ago I fought the crowd and had a great time, but for hours I couldn’t get a cab to get back to my hotel.

I met up with some old friends who decided singing Karaoke, China’s favourite pastime, was a great way to ringing in the New Year. I am no Celine Dion, not even William Hung, but I tagged along. The karaoke bar is located in a large mall in the Hongkou district. Our private room was big enough to house a small concert equipped with big screens, disco balls, flashing lights and auto applause. I snacked and spectated mostly. I really wish I was more musically inclined. Everyone who sang was loving it.

Unfortunately, I was feeling my age and didn't even make it pass midnight. I slept through my last few hours of 2011. Hopefully that will give me a lot of energy in 2012!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Shanghai, China

No comments:

Post a Comment