Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Small Commodity Mecca – Yiwu

Today I decided to take the early high speed train to Yiwu. Yiwu is part of Zhejiang province and is the small commodity mecca of the world.

I really like taking the train in China. The train system is massive with reach into even the most remote areas. There are tons of speed and comfort options too. The security system is a lot more lenient than flying, not to mention delays are rare. Our train to Yiwu averaged around 170 km/hour as small villages, highways and farmland zipped by us.

We arrived in Yiwu in about 2.5 hours. Although the city is located south of Shanghai, it felt much colder. After checking into the hotel I ventured out to Yiwu International Trade Center. At the main entrance there is a big jumbo-tron displaying the current market price of the commodity goods.




I couldn't have imagined how big this place was. It is divided into five zones. Each zone is probably equivalent of one Metropolis Mall in Burnaby. But imagine walking into Metropolis and the first floor is nothing but shoe shops, hundreds of little shoe shops. Second floor is nothing but purses. Everything under the sun were sold here. Even shishas and religious decorations from around the world.  Most of the shops are whole sellers, you have to buy in bulk to get the rock bottom prices. Smaller items like small costume jewelry and beads are sold by weight. Larger or more expensive items like cellphones and small machinery can sometimes be negotiated and sold individually.

There were a lot of middle eastern, Indian, and African business people negotiating with broken Chinese and walking up and down the shops. Some have hired agents or brokers to help them.

All the hair clips your head can handle.



I really didn't need to go to Egypt to get a set.




Sea of pencils!



Giant Ugg boot!



By the time I was through Zone 4 (I had skipped Zone 3 and skimmed through the other two), it was already 5PM and I was so tired. I was so overwhelmed by everything that I didn't even buy anything. Or maybe I just didn't need 100 pairs of earrings even if they were sold at a ridiculous price.

The next day I headed to Huangyuan Clothing Market. I was confident that I was able to walk away with loot today. Huangyuan sits on 117 acres of land with 5 floors of just clothing.



A few hours and three big bags later, I was ready to pack it in and head back to Shanghai.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Yiwu, China

No comments:

Post a Comment