Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Street food and seafood of Shanghai

I have been in Shanghai for a few days now. I have been eating non stop. Good thing I have been walking a lot too. My favourite types of food are street food and seafood.

For breakfast instead of cereal, I would get a couple of steaming hot vegetable and meat buns with a cup of freshly squeezed soy milk.

For lunch I would have the one and only Nanxiang (南翔) steamed dumpling. Their flagship resturant is located within Chenghuang (城隍) Temple. There is always a long lineup for these delicious bit size of heaven. The buns are sold in 16 per serving and I ate them all!







For dessert I would get my favorite childhood treat: candied hawthorn. So much better than candied apple.




For afternoon snack, I would get a savory or sweet pastry baked in one of these clay ovens. When biting into the pastry, the ultra crispy shell is first thing that hits my lips. The flavour are locked tight inside, so what hits the taste buds on my tongue is the completeness of what went into that little pastry. It doesn't get any better than this. I also highly recommend clay oven baked sweet potato. The bits that gets caramelized are the best.



The perfect dinner to me is a seafood feast. There are a few streets in Shanghai full of nothing but seafood restaurants with fresh seafood on display outside.















Winter is best time for hairy legged crabs. I have eaten so much crabs since I got here that my tongue is all cut up. People believe hairy crab has a lot of "cold" element or chi. Hence, tons of ginger and garlic are put into the dipping sauce to balance out the cold and make sure you don't catch a cold.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Shanghai, China

No comments:

Post a Comment