Friday, January 20, 2012

My second home town - Nantong (南通)

During the culture revolution, my parents were sent to the country side from Shanghai to experience “peasant life”. When it was over, they were sent to work in a mid size town north of Shanghai named Nantong. I spent most of my childhood here. Mom and I arrived in town in the afternoon. I had caught a cold and spent the night nursing a sore throat and headache. My aunt made me hot ginger tea with brown sugar before and after dinner. It really worked miracle. Next morning I was feeling much better and got my energy back.

Mom and I decided to trace our life from 20 years ago. We started in the downtown area. Although I came here 5 years ago, I barely recognized anything. The clock tower that normally serves me as a landmark was again under construction, the government owned department store my mother use to be manage was bought out by a Japanese company a few years ago, and the aisles I use to run up and down after school all had disappeared.

We walked by the art research institute my father use to work for which was across from the public park I use to love going to on weekends. On the back of park was the elementary school I attended for eight years. I nearly missed it since the area opened up new roads and countless new buildings. I asked the reception for my old English and Math teacher. Unfortunately, today is Saturday and no one was around.




After our stroll down memory lane we had a big family dinner with my aunts, uncles, and even a new addition to the family. The cousin I grew up with just had a new baby girl. She was so sweet and definitely star of the night. I just can’t believe my childhood playmate now is not only someone’s husband but also a doting father. I felt more grown up than ever.




Baby Yiyi in her lady bug outfit!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Nantong, China

No comments:

Post a Comment