Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Moganshan Art District

China's art scene has been red hot in recent years. Not only attracting domestic, but also many international collectors. Beijing transformed an old industrial park full of decommissioned factories and warehouses into an art community called Factory 798. The other major cities started to follow suit. Moganshan (莫干山) is Shanghai's answer to 798.

Moganshan is actually located at 50 Moganshan Road. Sometimes it is also referred to as M50. Although much smaller than 798, Moganshan still holds its own. The community houses about 20 independent painting, photography, sculpture and other media galleries, workshops and studios. There are also trendy cafes.




The building exterior is kept pretty much the same. Inside I was surprised at how good the Chinese contemporary art scene has advanced. The different styles and innovative subjects made me wish I could take many of the pieces home. My father is an artist and I have always loved his ceramic work, so I tend prefer ceramic pieces like this one.







There is not a lot of graffiti around Shanghai, except for Moganshan. When we pulled away there were a couple of graffiti artists busy working on the outside walls of one of the buildings.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Shanghai, China

No comments:

Post a Comment