Sunday, April 14, 2013

Heron Island (Great Barrier Reef) - Day 3

Today was my turn to dive! I showed up for my refresher dive at 8AM. I was a bit nervous since it had been at least two years since my last dive. Also I was still concerned about the sharks. I had to demonstrate a few skills such as taking the regulator in and out and goggle clearing. Now I was more confident about the dive.

We took a quick ten minute boat ride to dive site called Bommie.  The dive lasted about 45 minutes. I saw big and small colourful fishes, huge stingrays hanging out at the sandy bottom, a sea turtle with a coral stuck to his fin (he did manage to get rid of it when he started swimming), and white tip sharks.  I am glad I change my mind about diving.  It was one of the best dives I have ever done.  The only thing I notice was the coral wasn't as colourful as I thought.  I read somewhere Great Barrier Reef is dying at a rapid pace.  What a shame.  I only hope someday in the future Drake will be able to see the reef for himself too.

After lunch we took Drake to play in the ocean.  He splashed the water around, picked up shells and dug into the golden sand.  He absolutely had a ball.



Heron Island is surrounded by reefs that you can just walk to.  I strapped Drake in the Ergobaby and we went for a walk.  Drake fell asleep almost immediately.  The reef, of course, didn't have as many fishes around them as the Bommie, but if we looked closely we can still find little fishes and star fishes.




Tides started to come in.  Greg decided to go for a snorkel by the jetty and the HMCS Protector wreck.  He hadn't seen a sting ray yet, he was hoping to find one or two.  He came up short and didn't find anything too interesting.  I was able to spot a few lemon sharks and told him whereabouts from the jetty.  He wasn't fast enough to catch a glimpse.


I decided to go for a snorkel as well since it might be my last chance.  It turned out the lemon sharks hung around to say hello to me.  I came to about 3 feet with one.  As soon as I caught the face of the 5 foot fish with very intimidating teeth, I swam away as quickly as I could like a scaredy cat.


Heron Island is known for a lot of turtle activities and the resort offered free guided turtle watching at sunset.  We put Drake in the Ergobaby again and went for a little moonlight beach walk in search of baby turtles making their way to the ocean.  We were warned that this was the tail end of the turtle hatching season and the island had a very low activity level this season.  After a hour of walking back and forth, we saw a turtle nest which was just a pile of sand (the eggs were buried deep in the chamber).  We didn't see any baby turtles.

I guess yesterday we got rained in, today we did a lot to make up for the lost time.  I am a little sad we are leaving tomorrow.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:Heron Island

No comments:

Post a Comment