Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What to buy when you are in China

China is a fantastic destination for shopping. It is the manufacturing capital of the world after all. You will arrive with an empty suitcase and leave with a shipping container! So much to buy, here is a very small list of must buys that are not only high quality, but also cheap.

1. Phone accessories. I got my iPhone cover at the pearl market in Beijing before I even got an iPhone. The cover quality was quite good. Especially, now I have dropped my iPhone at least 5 times so far. Best part, the hard cover costed me only 20RMB (3 CAD).

2. Socks and underwear. China makes over 3 billions pair of socks annually for Walmart and other retail giants. The socks are high quality and really cheap. Same goes for underwear.
3. Camera accessories. Memory cards, tripods, batteries and camera bags for sure. Don't bother buying lens or cameras since they cost approximately the same as in North America.

4. Silk and embroidery products. Silk is a no brainer. Labour is expensive in the west. Hand made embroidery is hard to find. Although a slowly dying art form in China, hand made embroidery is still plenty. You can even get your photo portrait embroidered.


5. Chinese water-colour paintings. I like to buy them. Because they are not only beautiful, but also very easy to transport. Just have to roll it up and unroll to hang on the wall. No framing required.

6. Prescription glasses and contacts. Yes, bring your precription and have your glasses made in China. I paid 350 RMB (54 CAD) for my frame and lens.

A final tip, be sure to brush up your negotiation skills before your trip.

Don't forget to join us on our next trip: China Shopping and Spa Extravaganza.

No comments:

Post a Comment