Friday, October 28, 2011

Faye's Top Ten Travel Tips - Part II

Continuing from my last post:

These are for during the trip:

6. Toilets. One too many cervesa at lunch? I hate looking for a bathroom when I need one, but I am more fearful of disgusting bathrooms. Especially in developing countries, going to the toilet is not just an adventure, it can be a nightmare.  When in a jam, my go to places are fast food restaurants such as McDonalds, KFC or Burger King.  9 out of 10 times they will be close to western expectations: a sit-down toilet and free toilet paper.  Bonus tip: always bring toilet paper in your day pack.

7. Finding accommodation. Not every cities around the world will have your favourite hotel chain. I actually prefer boutique local hotels, they tend to be more unique and interesting.  The downside is that unlike major hotel chains you might not get what you expected. Website such as Trip Advisors and Booking.com do a nice job of showing pictures and customer feedback on boutique hotels but there is still never a guarantee unless you are there to see it for yourself.  I prefer to book only the first night and book subsequent nights directly with the hotel based on the first night experience. Most of the time, the hotel will honour the same rate and depending how long the stay, a better rate can even be negotiated.  A few years ago when I traveled to Phuket and had booked at a hotel that was right on the beach, however the hotel turned out to be very noisy. Phuket was surrounded by variety of hotels. We just walked around the area. In no time, we found another tucked away and much nicer hotel.
8. Language. The easiest way to bridge cultural gaps is through language of course.  My must learn words when I travel are Hello, Thank You, Please and Bathroom. Any other phrases, I recommended learning whatever you are interested in.  I love to shop and negotiation is part of the fun so I always make sure I learn how to say "How much?" and the numbers (or bring a pocket calculator :p).  I also like to find out what the shortest possible way to say something is.  Russia was probably the most difficult country to travel through language wise.  Most of the time we had a private guide with us but when ventured out on our own and if we were really stuck communicating, we would find the nearest luxury hotel. Good chance someone who works there will speak some English.

9. Experience the people, not just the sites.  The ruins, parks, or museums are normally what we travel thousands of miles to see, but to me sometimes the people are the most interesting. I try to not just interact within my own group.  In Russia some of our best memories were chatting with a group of students who were volunteering for the Sochi Olympics at a local dive bar.  We even shared Russian food and vodka on the train with the co-conductor and his friends who didn't speak a word of English. I was surprised at how much a mixture of just gestures and sounds helped me understand the local culture so much better.

I also like talking to other travelers, especially those who are traveling for really long periods of time (ie: over 6 months).  They are usually the second best source of information and recommendations.

10. Take a vacation during travel. First of all, travel and vacation are different things.  A lot of us use our vacation days to travel and most of time, need a vacation after the travel.  Travel can be so exciting, but also can be demanding on your body.  I eat whatever I want when I travel and still would lose weight.  I always make sure I take my multivitamins and a mini-vacation during my travels.  In South East Asia, I sat on a beach in Phuket for a few days in between Angkor Wat and Petronas Towers.  In Africa, I sat on another beach in Zanzibar in between Simien Mountain and Masai Mara. In South America, I ended on a yacht in the Galapagos after 2 weeks in the freezing Bolivian salt field and breath taking (literally) Machu Picchu .  Not to mention, a trip or two or three to the spa for a foot or body massage during the trip is a must (China was the best for that)!

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the tips. I like number 9, i totally agree. Check my blog about me meeting the locals. http://tourorganizers.blogspot.com/2011/10/meeting-beautiful-locals.html

    and also you If you have an iphone/ipad you can also add it. check my blog about must have apps when travelling http://tourorganizers.blogspot.com/2011/11/top-5-must-have-apps-while-travelling.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading! You have a great blog!
    I definitely find Skype very useful on the road and will be downloading the offline translator!

    ReplyDelete