Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Traveler Compatibility Quiz

I love traveling with friends. However, picking the right companion to travel with can be a challenge. The wrong match can turn best friends into sworn enemies and ultimately ruin the trip. I have personally experienced and have heard many horrid stories about disaster travel experience involving different expectations, schedule, habits and etc.

Here is a little quiz to help you figure out whether the travel companion you pick or have in mind is right for you!

Instructions:
  • You and your potential travel companion each take the quiz separately.
  • After finishing the quiz, compare the score and add up the questions you both have the same answers for.
1. What type of relationship do you currently have with your potential travel companion?
a. Acquaintances – we just met
b. Friends – we hang out or talk on the phone (or have the intention to) at least once every couple of weeks
c. Good friends – we hang out or talk on the phone (or have the intention to) at least once a week
d. Best Friend forever – we hang out and talk on the phone (or have the intention to) everyday! Godparent to my first born.
e. We are related (blood oath doesn’t count, but you should pick option D)
f. Couple – We are in a romantic relationship
2. Why do you guys want to travel with your potential travel companion?
a. I always wanted to travel to the intended destination and she/he was the only person who said yes to traveling with me or vice versa
b. We both wanted to do something together and traveling was an idea we agreed on.
c. Traveling together was something we always wanted to do together
3. Why did you select your intended destination?
a. I decided to tag along after hearing about it from my potential travel companion and I know very little and have no expectations about the intended destination
b. I want to experience new things such as culture, food, people and etc.
c. I have family there I want to visit
d. I like to do volunteer there
e. I want to relax and unwind
4. What was your favourite past travel destination?
a. Beach/Cruise – sitting on a beach and sipping Pina Coladas (ie: Mexico, Caribbean’s)
b. Away from civilization – trekking to remote mountain or jungle areas and interacting with nature (ie: South American Amazons, African safaris)
c. City Culture – walking through galleries and museums (ie: New Year)
d. Ancient Culture – walking through ruins (ie: Angkor Wat, Macchu Pichu)
e. One word – “VEGAS”. It has everything: gambling, partying and shopping
f. I haven’t really traveled much outside of my home country or area.


5. Where do you like to eat out the most?
a. Michelin rated restaurants
b. Boutique local eateries
c. Ethnic restaurants – ie: Chinese, Indian, Ethiopian, Greek
d. Chain restaurants – ie: Olive Garden, Outback steakhouse
e. Food court
f. Street food cart
6. What do you love to do the most?
a. Being Active
b. Food appreciation
c. Partying
d. Shopping
e. Learning/Exploring
f. Relaxing
g. Working
7. When traveling, what is the LOWEST form of accommodation you are willing to put up with while traveling?
a. A roof is good enough (ok, maybe a tent)
b. Have the basics like an actual bed, washing facility and safe (ie: local hostels)
c. Private sleeping and washing facilities (ie: B&B, motels or inns)
d. Private sleeping and washing facilities with some amenities (ie: Holiday Inn)
e. Pillow top bed with a high thread count, turn down service, a view and 24 hour room service (ie: Four Seasons or Fairmont)


8. Do you like to stick to a schedule?
a. No – I don’t like to plan. I just show up at my destination and do whatever is in the spur of the moment
b. Yes – I like to plan everything ahead and usually stick to an itinerary exactly
c. Mostly – I like to plan majority of the trip and leave some room for spontaneous activities
d. A little – I plan a little bit and do some research before hand, but leave a lot of room for spontaneous activities
9. Are you always on time?
a. Yes – I am always on time and sometimes even early
b. No – I am always late.
c. Sometimes – I am sometimes late, sometimes on time, really depends on the situation or occasion
10. What is your financial situation?
a. I am pretty well off, not really concern with money and sometimes even known to be frivolous.
b. I am pretty well off, but I am aware of my money and is careful how I spend it
c. I am not well off, but money is still not a concern for me. Life is meant to be lived and not tied down by money.
d. I am not well off and like to live within my means.
e. I have a lot of debt like mortgage, car payment and student loan. Hence, I need to be very budget conscious.
11. What is your current career situation?
a. Professional
b. Tradesperson
c. Entrepreneur/Self-employed
d. Student
e. Unemployed
12. What do you hope to get out of the trip you guys are planning?
a. Grow, build or reinforce the bond we currently have
b. The relationship will remain the same between us
c. I have no expectations. It is just a trip.
*******************YOU ARE DONE!*******************************
If you and your potential travel companion scored between:


0 - 4 :( Nothing wrong with being domestic friends. Maybe you two should keep it that way.

5 - 8
:| It is going to take a little work of managing expectations and maintaining good communication to make the trip you both will enjoy.

9 - 12
:) Travel BFF in the making. You sound awesome; let me come on the trip as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment